Van Harten Surveying has an immediate Full-Time opportunity for a Land Survey Field Technician out of our Guelph office. The successful candidate will perform survey fieldwork including, but not limited to; cadastral boundary surveys, topographic surveys, construction layouts, as-built verification and control networks, and will be committed to providing accurate and quality work. The successful candidate will be familiar with Total Station and GNSS technologies, understand how to work with mapping projections, and be able to perform various calculations using field and desktop software.
Van Harten Surveying Inc. is located in the heart of Southwestern Ontario, with offices in Guelph, Waterloo, and Orangeville; and recently acquired survey companies from Acton, Kitchener and Elmira. Over the last 50 years, Van Harten Surveying has provided surveying services to a variety of clients across Southern Ontario. Van Harten Surveying Inc. (https://www.vanharten.com) is a company that has grown and evolved from its original land surveying roots in 1968, into a well-respected multi-disciplined professional surveying and consulting engineering firm. Our firm offers a wide range of services to a wide range of clients, and we always strive to provide an excellent level of service.
At Van Harten we offer employees a friendly, healthy, and engaging workplace environment with our wellness-focused corporate culture, community-oriented mentality, and commitment to our employees’ success. Join a culture that facilitates connections, fosters career growth, and supports the local community.
- Take direction from Project Manager to understand the scope of work and critical data items to complete the survey correctly
- Use and maintain GNSS equipment, robotic total stations, data collectors, etc.
- Assist in collection of data using various survey instruments
- Field work on a wide variety of sites for boundary retracement, SRPRs, Reference Plans, Subdivisions, Condos as well as construction layouts and topographic surveys.
- Adhere to strict quality control practices and safety policies
- Field layout of stake points including pins, monuments, stakes, and nails
- Interpret a variety of plans, deeds, sketches, construction and architectural drawings and maps
- Clearly communicate with the client and Project Manager and/or OLS to ensure smooth operations in the field and office
- Ability to work in independently
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational, mathematical, and analytical skills
- Ability to learn and implement problem-solving skills in areas such as survey boundary retracement under the direction of the OLS
- Ability to adhere to AOLS regulations, knowledge of field survey methods and calculations in collecting boundary evidence in the field
- Ability to work in a variety of weather conditions in a physical manner for 8+ hours/day
- Commitment to health and safety in the workplace
- Diploma in Survey Engineering Technology or Civil Engineering Technology program, or equivalent experience is considered an asset
- A valid driver’s license
- Experience with surveying field equipment considered an asset
Van Harten Surveying offers a variety of benefits, which include:
- Extended health care
- Dental coverage
- Pension plan
- Annual bonus
- Wellness program
- Education plan
- Staff social events
Compensation will depend on the experience and skill set of the successful candidate.
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available upon request.
We thank all applicants for their interest and ensure complete confidentiality. Please note that only those candidates under consideration for this position will be contacted.